What is a birth Doula?
Congratulations on your new baby! Once you see that positive pregnancy test everything changes. By now, Google has become your best friend and everyone has advice on what to eat, what to avoid, essential baby gear and the best preschools in town!
Take a deep breath, it is going to be ok.
First things first, you need to give birth. Your body was made for the task ahead! You have created life, will bring your baby into the world, nourish your baby and experience a love like no other. Birth is a normal process and with diligent preparation and support, you will set yourself up for a beautiful experience.
A doula can guide you through the process and support you during your labor and birth. Finding the right doula comes down to finding the right fit for your needs. It is an honor to be welcomed onto your birth team to support you during this unique time of need and you need to feel comfortable with everyone you invite into your birth space.
I like to start with a coffee date. You and your partner can come ask questions and get a feel for my personality and see if we're a good match. If with click, I'll send you a contract and client guide and we will get our prenatal visits scheduled. I come to your home twice before labor so we get to know one another and help you prepare for birth. We will work through the Plumtree Baby Preparing for Birth booklet and talk about physiology of birth, questions for your care provider, choices for birth, comfort measures and life with baby.
Your partner knows you best and is a vital part of your birth experience which is why we will work as a team to find the best comfort techniques to support you during the waves of labor. I'm also there to make sure your partner is present during the birth of baby and will have opportunities to rest and eat.
I'm on call 2 weeks before your estimated due date until baby is born. By that time we'll be good friends and you can update me with any changes or signs of labor. I'll help you determine when labor has started, how to get through early labor, decide when it's "go time" and provide emotional and physical support during labor and delivery. I stay with you through the golden hour and we schedule a postpartum visit to process your birth. Most client's choose to add-on Birth Photos to their Doula Support Package and our postpartum visitis a great time to talk through your birth experience and see the photos to help you fill in all the details you may forget inthe moment.
Check out options for Birth Support below and schedule our coffee date today! You can also hop over to Birth Photography for photo and video options.
Birth doula support
What's included in your doula support:
1. An in-person consult to see if we are a good fit before I join your birth team.
2. Two prenatal meetings customized to your needs. Often times we go over your choices for birth, develop a birth plan, practice comfort techniques and discuss breastfeeding resources to prepare for baby's arrival.
3. I am on call for your birth during the month of your expected delivery. I will join your family in active labor to capture the hard work of mom and her labor team, baby's first breath and the golden hour. I am happy to support your birth at home, OSF St Joseph Hospital, Advocate BroMenn or the Bloomington-Normal Birth Center.
4. Postpartum visit to process your birth experience.
Birth Photography Add-on
Having your entire birth story captured is a wonderful addition to doula support! This package includes:
1. A gallery of your entire birth story (50+ hand edited photos).
2. Complete doula support as outlined above.
3. One postpartum visit to process your birth experience and view your photo gallery.
4. Online gallery with digital downloads of all photos included with print release.
5. Digital birth announcement ready within 24 hours of delivery to share the news of baby's arrival with friends and family.
6. Postpartum ordering session to choose photo books, prints and other keepsakes to hold on to and show baby every year!